Still, rocking your 30s? Back up and glow up with 5 Steps to Perfect Skincare in Your 30s.
First things first: there is no age shame here! 40 is the new 30, my friends, so get out there and wildly enjoy your life.
Second thing: updating your skincare to suit your age does not make you “old.” So tell your subconscious to stop digging up comparisons to your mother.
Living your 40s to their fullest should go hand in hand with supporting your body, complexion included. To put it bluntly, your skin is getting older along with you and may need more help to maintain prime condition.
Yep, we’re talking about 40s fears like sagging, fine lines, and dullness.
Get ahead of these issues by changing your skincare routine with the times! We promise it’s not scary. Just use these 3 simple tips to make sure your 40s skincare is on point.
Focus on Rejuvenation
Skincare in your 30s was all about prevention. Now that you’re broaching your 40s, your skin may be losing some of its glow as your cell turnover slows and collagen degrades.
And for you ladies out there, these signs of premature aging can be an even bigger issue — declining estrogen levels as we age undermine our skin integrity. Great.
It’s time to complement your existing routine with products that emphasize rejuvenation. But first, let’s go over the products that should already be in your regular lineup...and look for opportunities to upgrade your basics.
1. Review Your Base Routine
- Cleanser: The cornerstone of any skincare regimen. But is your old faithful still the right choice for your changing skin? In your 40s, consider an oil-based cleanser that will help preserve your complexion’s protective barrier. Unlike foaming cleansers that dry out your skin with harsh ingredients, our Radiant Cleansing Nectar helps restore your complexion’s natural balance with hydrating manuka and jojoba oils.
- Moisturizer: Your cleanser’s number-one sidekick. Now that your skin needs hydration more than ever, make sure you aren’t just settling for some cheap drugstore option. A good moisturizer will truly nourish and fortify your skin, especially when preceded by a skin-prepping botanical mist.
- SPF: When it comes to combating environmental damage, you need SPF on your team. Use SPF 30+ daily, even if it’s chilly or cloudy outside. For sensitive skin, we suggest a water-based sunscreen that won’t clog your pores.
2. Add Rejuvenating Products
- Any basics you’re missing: Been skipping SPF for years? Still haven’t found your dream moisturizer? Better late than never! Fill the gaps in your skincare routine with wholesome, skin-positive products.
- Eye creams: The skin beneath and around your eyes is one of the first places that fine lines develop. A repairing eye cream can help prevent the appearance of these lines and keep your eyes looking bright and youthful. If you didn’t start using eye creams in your 30s, now’s the time! And the only thing better than one eye cream? This AM/PM power couple.
- A hydrating serum: In your 40s, your skin may dry out and take on a thin, crepey appearance in delicate areas like your neck, décolleté, and beneath your eyes. Counteract this dryness with a deeply hydrating serum. Unlike other brands, our Perfectionist Overnight Serum prioritizes natural solutions. It infuses your skin with restorative antioxidants from potent botanicals like passionfruit, acai, and prickly pear. These ingredients work together to correct, protect, and breathe new life into your complexion.
Incorporate Vitamin C
In your quest for rejuvenation, one of the most important considerations is protecting and promoting collagen.
Collagen is one of the proteins that keep your skin looking youthful and firm, but your collagen levels fall about 1% per year after the age of 20. So by the time you hit 40-something, you may have lost a dramatic 20-25% of your collagen supply.
To make matters worse, environmental damage from UV rays or pollutants can damage your collagen and make it harder for your skin to stay hydrated.
The answer? Vitamin C.
Vitamin C has a whole host of skin benefits, from defending against environmental damage to brightening dark spots. And when it comes to keeping your supple and springy complexion, vitamin C is there to help promote new collagen production.
So as you’re filling out your 40s skincare routine and setting some new self-care habits, find ways to incorporate vitamin C. One way, of course, is to add vitamin-rich foods to your diet. But you can also give your skin a vitamin boost topically!
Some skincare brands formulate their products with synthetic vitamin C made in labs. But we prefer using botanicals like Kakadu plum and rosehip, which are naturally bursting with vitamin C. Unlike their synthetic counterparts, natural sources of vitamin C include supportive enzymes that help your body use and absorb the vitamin to receive its top benefits.
Kakadu plum, which has 50 times more vitamin C than oranges, plays a starring role in our skin-perfecting Luminous Complexion Toner. Rosehips, meanwhile, infuse our Flawless Nourishment Cream with vitamin C to help keep your face feeling plump, bouncy, and moisturized.
Let’s get real. How well are you sleeping? Those hours of rest (or lack thereof) can have a significant impact on the quality of your skin.
While you sleep, your skin naturally uses the time to rest and repair itself. After a long day of environmental damage, these repairs are crucial.
If you’re consistently low on sleep, it becomes harder for your skin to thrive. Even one sleepless night can have a negative effect. Your skin cells won’t be able to sufficiently recover from daily damage, and the results will be evident when you check the mirror each morning.
In your 40s, your skin’s ability to repair itself is already slowing down, so it is more important than ever to prioritize sleep. Fortunately, there are strategies to get better sleep and help your skin live its best life. So take it easy and let yourself relax for a solid eight hours!
Does your skin need extra help at bedtime? Treat it to easy overnight purification with our Clear Skin Elixir
We know that your 40s can be a busy time, but don’t forget to treat yourself (and your skin) with the love and attention you deserve. A little self-care now will go a long way later!
Aging gracefully into your 50s and beyond? Put your best face forward with 4 Keys to the Best Skincare Routine for Aging Skin