← Still in your 40s? Start by Creating the Best Skincare Routine for 40s Skin.
So you’re finally easing into your 50s, your 60s, or beyond.
Congratulations! You’ve earned some relaxation, and so has your skin.
Back in the day, you probably endured some not-so-skin-friendly practices in the name of beauty. Who hasn’t? But now it’s time to stop stressing your skin with heavy-duty, age-shaming products.
Instead, tweak your skincare routine to love, support, and celebrate your gracefully aging complexion. Using these tips as a guide, prioritize products that value the health of your skin and empower it to rejuvenate itself from within.
After all, healthy skin is beautiful skin!
1. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
Once you pass the age of 50, hydration should be one of your main skin priorities. Over time, your skin begins losing its structural integrity, including its ability to retain moisture.
This is one reason why aging skin tends to be on the dry side. Years of environmental damage from pollutants and UV radiation don’t help, and skincare products with mattifying or harsh chemical ingredients can make matters even worse.
Make sure that your routine has a strong focus on moisturization to help maintain your hydration and radiance.
Tips for Dry Skin :
- Drop skin-stripping products. Many cosmetics, foaming cleansers, and other skincare products use ingredients that can be overly drying for sensitive skin. Switch to a natural-based skincare solution that actually protects the dewy moisture in your skin. Averr Aglow products never contain parabens, sulfates, cheap fillers, or skin-damaging preservatives.
- Cleanse with cool water. Hot water can remove oils and moisture from your skin, leaving your face dry and itchy. Rinse with cool or lukewarm water instead. Or, better yet, use a rinse-free cleanser like our Radiant Cleansing Nectar. Its botanicals remove dirt and impurities without compromising your skin barrier.
- Find the right moisturizer. To keep your complexion hydrated, look for a product that provides both moisturization and nourishment. Our Flawless Nourishment Cream infuses your skin with nutrient-rich camellia and jojoba to help lock in moisture and keep your complexion healthy and supple.
2. Target Specific Skin Concerns
Want the best results for your particular skin woes? Craft your routine to address them directly.
Sure, your sister-in-law may be able to sustain her perfect complexion with a single all-purpose moisturizer, but that approach won’t work for everybody (or most people, for that matter).
Everyone’s skin is unique, and only you know where yours needs extra help. So put your sister-in-law’s recommendations aside, identify the problem areas in your complexion, and target those issues with supportive skincare products.
The skin beneath your eyes is fragile and prone to fine lines. Try adding eye creams to your daily regimen, like the complimentary duo in our Perfectly Fresh Eyes Kit. Together, the kit’s Ageless Eyes Day Cream and Satin Eyes Night Mask help boost moisture and collagen in your skin for a fresher, smoother look.
While you’re busy caring for your precious face, it’s easy to forget that there’s also delicate skin on your neck. Extend your neck a little love when applying hydrating products like our Perfectionist Overnight Serum. Press the Serum into your face AND neck to help improve elasticity, increase skin moisture, and prevent wrinkles with a wholesome, plant-derived blend of antioxidants and essential fatty acids.
Hyperpigmentation and skin discoloration are common issues as you get older, thanks to long years of sun exposure. But rejuvenating ingredients like bakuchiol and Kakadu plum contain nutrients that can help tame your dark spots for a brighter and more even complexion. Get the best of these botanicals in products like our Luminous Complexion Toner or our Perfectionist Overnight Serum.
3. Try Facial Massage
Apart from being pleasant and relaxing, massages have various health and wellness benefits.
In particular, a facial massage may help strengthen and contour the muscles in your face for a fuller, more youthful appearance. It can also help reduce swelling and promote circulation, helping deliver vital nutrients to your skin.
Anecdotal evidence suggests that facial massage may even help reduce skin sagging, soften scar tissue, and give you an extra glow. While these effects are pending further study, it certainly can’t hurt to go ahead and give facial massages a try!
If you’re feeling fancy, professional massages are available at most spas. Or, if you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, you can perform your own facial massage right at home.
Simple Massage Techniques:
- Use your fingertips to massage up the sides of your face in a circular motion, moving from your chin to your forehead. Then slide your palms back down in a smooth, firm motion.
- Press your ring fingers into the inner corners of your brow bone and glide them outward, first arcing over your eyes, then mirroring the motion beneath your eyes.
- Press your fingertips between your brows. Slide them up toward your hairline and then outward, toward your temples.
- Place the outside of your pinky fingers on each side of your neck, just beneath your jawline. Pull downward with even, comfortable pressure.
Ready to try at-home facial massage? Smooth the way with our and luxuriate in a relaxing, transformative experience.
4. Stay Active
It’s no mystery that exercise is good for you at any age, impacting everything from your immune system to your mental acuity. But exercise isn’t just helpful for your general health — staying active can also play a role in the health and appearance of your skin.
Inside all of your cells are active little powerhouses known as mitochondria. When the mitochondria in your skin cells begin to slow down and malfunction, it can directly result in signs of aging like wrinkles, uneven skin tone, and greying hair. So anything you can do to keep your mitochondria functioning smoothly will have a positive impact on your skin.
One option? Exercise.
Exercise stimulates the mitochondria in your cells, helping keep them alert and ready to work. This, in turn, can prevent premature aging.
As one article very persuasively put it, exercise is one way of “stopping aging at the cellular level.”
Need we say more?
Ultimately, it’s not about how you look, it’s about how you feel. Love the happy look of your laugh lines? Then flaunt them!
But if aging skin is denting your self-image, we hope that these tips will help give you a confidence boost.
Take it from us: you’re gorgeous either way. xx