Have Fun Indulging in Winter Treats, While Keeping Your Skin Clean and Clear
The cold months, particularly winter, evoke a feeling of wanting-to-be-inside, coziness, a need to be buried under soft blankets, a cup of something warm, remote in hand, and maybe a companion animal snoozing next to you. Or maybe you’re attending a friend or family event, everyone around you is grabbing food and gabbing, and you’re tempted….but tentative.
Nothing wrong with that comfort food! It can add to the joy and self-care of pampering yourself while it’s cold outside, especially when you have a weekend free from work and only a list of shows to catch up on or family to catch up with. But we also understand the want and need to make sure you’re not eating anything that might compromise your skincare routine. You’ve been so diligent with your morning and night routine, perhaps using the Clear Skin Kit or the Forever Radiant Kit, perhaps your AA masks and elixirs, so your skin is either finally clear or starting to clear! So you don’t want to grab food from the table that could potentially cause your skin to rebel from the gentle care you’ve already been giving it.
What can we do to both satisfy our cravings but stick with our skincare routine through the winter?
Our Founder Camille has some great tips just for this reason. She didn’t spend two decades dealing with unrelenting acne that no product could heal, and then finally take it into her own hands and develop the Averr Aglow product line herself, seeing clear, clean skin for the first time in her life, just to ruin it by eating foods that expunge all of the research, natural ingredient sourcing and success she and thousands of others have had!
So sit back and read about the best ways to indulge without undoing all of your hard work.
First, what are the five (5) main causes of breakouts, regardless of season?
- Genetics - Don’t worry - even if you have genetic skin issues, we have tips and products that deal directly with those factors!
- Hormones – see T-Zone and face mapping!
- Digestion - Issues in your digestive system can wreak havoc on your skin and cause breakouts and skin inflammation – see below for more info
- Diet - Certain foods can either help heal or irritate the digestive system – see below for more info.
- Stress- releases a specific hormone that again causes oil production to increase. So if you have to attend a winter event that makes you anxious, make sure you set an out-time so you can get back to relaxing ASAP!
You can read more about each factor in our Clear Skin Guide, but today we’ll focus on Digestion and Diet for the winter months.
Let’s first go over the types of foods and allergens that we should commonly avoid – so we can then talk about how to substitute them out with foods that will taste just as comforting and yummy but not affect your skin in the same way.
Common Foods that can cause breakouts:
- Refined Carbs - sugars and refined grains that have been stripped of all bran, fiber, and nutrients, such as white bread, pizza dough, pasta, pastries, white flour, white rice, sweet desserts, and many breakfast cereals. (*)
- Excess Fruit
Common Allergens that can cause breakouts:
- Eggs, Diary, Shellfish
- Soy, Nuts, Wheat
- Tomatoes, Citrus Fruit, Latex
- Corn, Beans, Veggie Oil
Now that you know that these can cause breakouts, also know that in moderation they may be okay – so use your discretion by trying little bits and seeing how your skin reacts. Slowly cut out foods as needed and keep a list so you don’t forget.
On a bigger scale…
What can I substitute for the regular “Comfort Food” I’m used to in cold months?
What are your favorites? Potatoes, mac and cheese, heavy cream desserts? Us too. Luckily, there are a lot of substitutes you can make that will have the same “heaviness” and satisfactory feeling that you might get at a meal, whether at a family or friend gathering or a solo night in, but not affect your digestion or skin!
Potatoes – substitute butternut or acorn squash (great for Vitamin A!)
Butternut Squash Pie!
Cream Pies, other sugar-laden desserts – substitute Chia Seed Pudding – it has that “full feeling” with the great nutrients of chia seeds!
Chia Seed Pudding -Yum!
Hot Chocolate – avoid the dairy base with a rich and creamy drink that tastes just like the real thing!
Dairy – Substitute plant based milks!
What Kind of “Super Foods” will BOOST my Winter Skin Glow?
The other great thing about the colder months and staying indoors more, is that it gives you more time to have fun with your skincare and explore natural foods to enhance the additional benefits the Averr Aglow products are giving you! Want to glow more? Add the following to your health plan!
Foods that also contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and omegas are necessary for clear, smooth skin.
Check out our article here about the 99 Best foods for Clean Skin and read more below for a more condensed list!
RICH IN VITAMIN A
- Sweet Potato
- Dark Leafy Greens
RICH IN VITAMIN B
- Chicken Breast
- Coldwater Seafood
- Dark Leafy Greens
RICH IN VITAMIN C
- Bell Peppers
- Dark Leafy Greens
RICH IN VITAMIN E
- Leafy Greens
HIGH QUALITY FATS
- Grass Fed Meats Cold Water Salmon Avocado
- Chia Seeds
RICH IN ZINC
What are some great supplements to conquer breakouts and keep skin looking young during the cold months, and how?
1) Vitamin A – Protects your skin from damage, especially the harsh light of the sun when reflecting off snow or other surfaces. It also heals skin, reduces inflammation, and regulates healthy oils
2) Vitamin C – Is a powerful antioxidant that has cancer-fighting properties and helps keep your skin healthy by increasing its collagen (the protein that keeps your skin firm, plump and youthful) production
Vitamin C Fruits!
3) Omega-3 - Maintains regulation and balance of skin, reducing inflammation
4) Collagen Peptides – These superheroes boost the skin’s elasticity and firmness as we age (don’t forget we have new Boosters that focus solely on Collagen Peptides – great time of year to give your skin this extra “Boost!”)
5) Crocin - Anti-aging compounds that can help your skin remain supple and youthful
6) Vitamin E - Combats free radicals and bacteria produced by toxins in the environment
7) CoQ10 - This powerful, skin-enhancing ingredient is a must-have for youthful skin
8) Selenium - A main ingredient for overall immune health, this supplement works with vitamin E to help protect the body from cancers, including skin-related cancers, and help thwart off harmful UV rays
Read more about each of these supplements here, and stock up! Now’s the time, so that come warm weather again, you’ve already stocked up and have enhanced your routine to get your skin fresh for all seasons.
What are some Averr Aglow products that can supplement my skincare along with supplements in my healthcare?
Skincare routines like the Forever Radiant Kit help your skin stay youthful. As the supplements are helping your skin internally, this kit can help soften the appearance of current concerns such as crow's feet, discoloration, and wrinkles, while simultaneously preventing new ones from forming. (*)
Another great routine is our Clear Skin Kit, for all skin types. It exfoliates dead skin, detoxifies, replenishes nutrients, fights breakouts, fades dark marks, balances oils, smooths textures, and diminishes inflammation. Combine with the food suggestions above and you’ll be on your way to a whole-body cleansing experience.
Our Super Glow Booster Kits use a high concentration of ceramides and peptides to conquer dullness and damage with our trio of booster serums featuring high-powered ingredients.
Our Cranberry Bliss Body Scrub and Cranberry Bliss Body Butter are obvious choices for the winter season: indulgent, exfoliating, hydrating and creamy, they would go perfect with that oat milk hot chocolate.
Finally, don’t forget the Sunscreen, even in the winter! The sun can still affect your skin even if it’s cold. Our Pure Protection Invisible Mineral Sunscreen is the perfect companion to sunny blistery days.
And don’t forget the H20! Water should always be a staple in your skincare and healthcare routine – heat it up when it’s cold outside.
Enjoy your days chilling in, catching up on all of your favorite indoor activities, and pampering yourself like a season-long spa treatment! Healthy food, vitamins, and skincare can be your best companions during these shorter days and longer nights, a benefit to your health and well-being.