There have been a lot of skincare trends circulating in social media over the last couple of years, but none so curious and interesting as the now-famous “Jello skin.”
What is Jello Skin?
Jello Skin was introduced by Ava Lee, a South Korean beauty influencer on TikTok, who says “We want that bounce back people!” while getting a facial by a celebrity aesthetician, who gently squeezes her cheek and it “bounces back” almost immediately. And this, with the main idea being skin that's plump, hydrated, and bouncy, became the rallying cry for #jelloskin.
How is “Jello Skin” Different from “Glass Skin” or “Dolphin Skin?”
You may have also heard these similar terms swimming around.
Ava Lee states, "Glass skin is more about the outer appearance of your skin,” whereas jello skin is all about what's going on underneath the surface. CNN reports, “Dolphin skin is a beauty term that’s more about “strategic makeup application and placement.” (*)
So, the surface-level glass and dolphins can show themselves out the door, while jello skin can come right in. We like the trends that remind us to take care of ourselves outside and in!
Before we take a deeper dive, a reminder that we are all about the health triad: skin, mental, and physical. Therefore we wanted to ask you to keep a couple of things in mind.
As Refinery 29 and Dr. Anna Chacon state, “While the jello skin trend is certainly an example of promoting hydration and elasticity in your skin, the youthful appearance of skin that gives it that 'bounce-back' factor is often reliant on genetic factors outside of your control.” Dr. Ana Mansouri also explains that trying to make your face look exactly like influencer Ava Lee’s “could contribute to insecurities and unhealthy beauty ideals,” she says. And finally, most dermatologists agree that it’s most beneficial to focus on hydrating, nourishing, and protecting the skin without being too focused on the skin springing back exactly like jello. (*)
However, we can think of the jello skin trend as a global metaphor for internal and external nourishment for supple, plump skin! Although genes might be out of our control, the way our skin feels is incredibly responsive to massage, moisture, and nutrition! (*) So we can improve our skin’s elasticity by making adjustments and additions to our daily skincare routine.
Today.com reports, "Jello skin is your skin at its healthiest — you want good elastic, you want it to be firm, you don't want it to be in a lax state, you also want it to be hydrated and dewy," Dr. Michelle Henry, a board-certified dermatologist in New York City, said. "Having jello skin is a great sign that the skin is full of collagen, elastin, and moisture."
Lee explained in a YouTube video that each letter in “jello” skin stands for several steps in the process. We’ll introduce these steps, as well as other important parts of the “journey” and skin care products that can give you this dewy, buxom facial glow!
- Journey. Achieving jello skin is “not an overnight change,” Lee said, and you’ll need to put in the work because “consistency is key” for obtaining radiant skin.
- Eat balanced meals. Lee recommends eating foods that are good for your gut.
- Lifestyle. Workouts, a balanced diet, and skin care routines should also stay consistent.
- Laugh. “Blood circulation and lymphatic drainage can be achieved by using your facial muscles by smiling and laughing.”
- Old is not bad. “With age comes experience and confidence — plus, you’ll know what works for you. Embrace your skin and take care of it no matter your age.”
What Are Some Other Important Factors in Establishing and Maintaining Collagen for Hydrated, Plump Skin?
1. HYDRATE –The skin is the largest organ in your body, and it’s mostly made up of water. Water can help flush toxins from the skin and shrink your pores, making them less likely to clog and cause a zit. It can also help keep your skin plumper, which can slow the aging process. (*)
2. MASSAGE -Just like the benefits of a body massage, facial massage can increase circulation for the face. Massaging our face promotes oxygen and blood flow in our skin, reduces puffiness, and creates a brighter skin tone and appearance. Massage will also increase collagen production, which prevents the formation of wrinkles.(*)
3. BAKUCHIOL- You may be wondering what the difference is between bakuchiol and retinol (which is often referred to in skincare ads and articles), and the simple answer is that bakuchiol does not irritate the skin like retinol can. Our Bakuchiol skincare products are great for people with all skin types. We also recommend starting with a bakuchiol-powered eye cream duo, like our Perfectly Fresh Eyes Kit!
4. SUNSCREEN - A study published in Dermatologic Surgery found that daily sunscreen use resulted in an overall improved appearance of skin tone, texture, fine lines and wrinkles, and signs of photoaging (*) Our own Averr Aglow Pure Protection Face Sunscreen is a face SPF 30 designed to be lightweight, moisturizing, and quick-absorbing, crafted with sensitive and breakout-prone skin in mind to not only protect your skin but to soothe it and make it feel velvety.
Gua Sha - While modern-day jade scraping might be less invasive, it can still have some pretty impressive results including stimulating circulation, softening fine lines and wrinkles, and decreasing puffiness, inflammation, and dark circles. (*)
5. COLLAGEN – In this previous article, we reminded you that there are ways to encourage collagen production without ingesting actual collagen! The same goes for topical treatments. Antioxidants like vitamin A, and vitamin C, and other ingredients like snow mushroom and prickly pear extract, strengthen your collagen and improve its production. Our Forever Radiant Kit includes all three of the above ingredients, plus five different skin-enriching vitamins, and numerous rare earth oils!
6. EXFOLIATING – Exfoliation helps get rid of the “news” - extracting dead skin and removing toxins and bacteria - that come with keeping your skin clean, clear, and supple. Our Illuminating Essence Exfoliating Mask does all of the above, using Cloudberry Oil, which is rich in omega fatty acids to reduce fine lines, and Silica and volcanic Ash, which is a mineral base that acts as a gentle exfoliant! Spa day in our bathrooms, anyone???
7. EXERCISE - Regular exercise is one of the keys to healthy skin. "We tend to focus on the cardiovascular benefits of physical activity, and those are important. But anything that promotes healthy circulation also helps keep your skin healthy and vibrant," says dermatologist Ellen Marmur, MD, author of Simple Skin Beauty. (*)
8. MULTI-VITAMINS – Choose a vitamin-packed with essential nutrients, like a blend of Vitamins A, C, D, E, Bs, Biotin & Folic Acid.
9. VITAMIN C - Vitamin C is one of the underrated secrets of skincare! Adding a serum with vitamin C, like our Perfectionist Overnight Serum into your skincare routine, is the key to promoting cell regeneration!
10. NOT SMOKING – Needless to say, smoking is not good for our skin, hair, or body! 😉
11. AVOIDING ALCOHOL – A glass of champagne at your sister’s wedding isn’t going to blow up your skincare routine all at once. However, having alcohol in moderation is key because alcohol causes your body and skin to lose fluid and dehydrate. Dry skin wrinkles more quickly and can look dull and gray. Alcohol's diuretic effect also causes you to lose vitamins and nutrients. (*)
12. BALANCED DIET means adding whole foods like fish, nuts, vegetables, and fruits into your diet, which can provide beneficial nutrients like amino acids and omega-3s. (*)
13. NECTAR – Ah, the power of moisture! Most people report improved hydration when using active ingredients like hyaluronic acid, AHAs and BHAs, and collagen peptides. (*)
This brings Jello Skin full circle, back to the one who started it all, Ava Lee. She states that “she likes double-cleansing to make sure that there’s no makeup on her face before applying other skincare.” We just happen to have the perfect combo – using our Completely Clear Gelée Makeup Remover first, then The Clarifying Hydration Dew, refreshing and cleansing in its spritzes, and then the Radiant Cleansing Nectar, which gently exfoliates, refines, and detoxes pores! That’s a triple cleanse!
So if you remember jello as a metaphor, and this accompanying list of plumping actions and products, you too can have beautiful skin that “bounces!”