Sign up for SMS and get 10% OFF sent right to your phone!
“Well, hello there, friend! Have you or someone you loved experienced acne? Acne can appear on the face, back (aka bacne), or any other unwanted place. If acne has made your life miserable, we have solutions that can help!” Blah, blah, blah
If you have ever dealt with acne, then you have most certainly heard every pitch known to man. From infomercials to hopeful articles that promised to show you “How to Get Clear Skin Right Now!” or “How to Get Rid of Acne Fast!” it never seemed to give you concrete help! This is a feeling that I know all too well.
After trying every acne solution with absolutely no result AT ALL, I decided that I needed to take matters into my own hands and do some investigating!
And, lucky for you, I decided to share the wealth with some tips that could seriously change your acne situation. Here are 100 tips to kick acne in the butt!
Stress rules everything around us (This may or may not be a Wu-Tang Clan reference…ok, it is!)
But, believe it or not, stress is one of the leading causes of acne. The reason for this is due to the stress hormone called cortisol. Studies have shown that cortisol can increase inflammation and sebum (or oil) production in the skin, and this increase can clog pores, which leads to the development of bacteria. What does that mean? Acne can be your new, unwanted guest.
So how do you combat it? Find ways to destress and relax. Reducing stress can not only improve your skin but your overall health too! Here are a few tips to help you live your best life!
1. Get a little sun- It’s a good source of vitamin D.
2. Take a walk- It’s an easy way to reduce stress and fill your lungs with fresh air.
3. Listen to some tunes- You know those songs that can take you to your happy place? Blast them loud!
4. Cheat days- Healthy eating is essential for acne management, but don’t skip out on the foods you love every once and while.
5. Take a long shower- Daily bathing is a no brainer, but with some bubbles and relaxing music, it's literally a spa day. Not to mention that you’re rinsing out those pores.
6. Do some breathing exercises- This can help alleviate the stressors that cause acne.
7. Go barefoot- Going barefoot on a safe surface (especially outside) can actually aid as a self-soothing technique to make you feel more relaxed and connected with the world around you. Again, it’s all about reducing stress hormones.
8. Jade rollers are the way to go- The relaxing properties of using a jade roller could indirectly prevent acne by reducing stress in the face.
9. Fresh towels for a fresh face- Who doesn’t love the feeling of a nice warm towel? When using a towel to pat your face, always use a separate one from the one you wipe your hands on. It can reduce bacteria.
10. Massage those armpits- Believe it or not, the sensation of touching underneath your arms can calm a person and release excess tension from the day. It is comparable to...
11. A good head massage- This can reduce heart rate and blood pressure while releasing feel-good hormones.
12. Catch some zzz’s- Dermatologists say that more sleep helps the skin heal. Also, sleep is just awesome!
13. Spray some dew- our Clarifying Hydration Dew is the perfect way to rehydrate, relax, and gain some nutrients for your skin. It also feels so soothing!
14. Apply a sheet mask
15. Use an overnight sleeping mask
16. Practice compartmentalizing
18. Practice work-life balance
19. Do some vision board planning
20. Retail therapy never hurt (in moderation)
21. Set short term and long term goals
22. Get a change of scenery
23. Buy a great all-in-one skincare system (Like the Clear Skin Kit)
“All I do is eat, eat, eat, no matter what!”
Eating is like my hobby, my muse for all good times, and my number one homie! Now, I am not ashamed to say this because my relationship with food is drastically different from what it was. I used to be a carb junkie, sweet addict, and had my Ph.D. in Dr. Pepper studies. And, after every binge, the breakouts just got worse. It wasn’t until I realized that my bad eating habits were a cause for my bad acne, and that’s when I decided to change the way I ate.
For those with acne, sugars, sodas, and dairy should be on our hitlist. Research has shown that all of these can harm the health of our skin and possibly cause breakouts.
What should you aim for? Your best bet is low-glycemic or low GI ( which is just a fancy way to say low glucose), antioxidant-rich, and omega 3 foods that are made of complex carbohydrates. This is because these foods contain ingredients that are beneficial for the skin by reducing inflammation.
Luckily, you don’t have to try and search for what these foods are! I have a list of the best foods and a few recipes that fit into the category. You’re welcome!
24. Whole Grains
26. Breakfast Cereals (but, not the super sugary junk)
27. Brown Rice (Long grain or Basmati)
29. Unprocessed fruits
30. Green vegetables
35. Olive oil
42. Sweet potatoes
44. Swiss chard
47. Ground flaxseed
50. Ground Chicken and Spinach- Literally like it sounds! It’s so good for you, and with a little cheese (in moderation), this will be your new meal prep staple! Click on the cute pink link for the recipe!
51. Death by Chocolate- The recipe for this one can be found on the website too. But don’t be fooled by the keto label. This low carb, low GI dessert is sinfully delightful.
52. Low GI Margarita- Add your favorite electrolyte mix (helps with hydration), ½ oz of Grand Marnier (or a substitute), 1oz of tequila, 1 cup of ice, and blend. Electrolytes, hydration, and good times for the win!
53. Antioxidant-Rich Slushy- Add a scoop of chia seeds, ½ cup each of blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries, a cup of ice, and a half-cup of water to a blender. Blend to preferred consistency. Instant perfection!
If you just love working out, raise your hand!... Anyone??
For most of us, the busy season for working out happens somewhere around January 1st and ends promptly around January 15th.
The only issue is that if you deal with acne, exercising could actually be a significant ingredient in defeating it.
Here's how it works: When a person works out, it impacts hormonal acne by decreasing the amount of cortisol in the body. Some researchers even say that exercise can prevent premature aging. Dr. Tania Elliott, a board-certified dermatologist, explains that "stress and being overweight are two factors that contribute to the development of acne. And believes that "Exercise should be considered a good treatment for acne.."
Now, I know that you are eager to start pumping iron, so I've included both a list of things to watch out for when you start exercising and some exercises that you could do!
54. Avoid super-tight clothing that causes skin irritation
55. Avoid dirty gym equipment
56. Don’t use pore-clogging face creams or sunscreens
57. Avoid hats and sweatbands (can trap sweat)
58. Don’t skip showering after a good session
59. Don’t forget to stretch (causes stress to the body)
60. Don’t forget to stay hydrated
61. Avoid wearing makeup (have you seen makeup mixed with sweat??...ewww)
62. Don’t skip a good infusion (fresh fruits like papaya, strawberries, blueberries, are great infusions in water).
63. Avoid too much hair product (sweat+dripping hair product= clogged pores on the face)
64. Don’t use dirty workout towels
65. Avoid touching your face too much
66. Avoid keeping your hair loose (hair product and oil can end up on the face)
67. Don’t stress yourself out; Enjoy it
69. Brisk Walking
71. Biking/ Indoor Biking
72. Indoor Rock Climbing
76. HIIT Training
77. Climbing stairs
78. Circuit Training
81. Strength training/lifting
Last on our acne-clearing list is the natural solutions. So, I know that you might be thinking, aren’t the tips above natural-ish too? And, yes, they are!
But in this category, we’ll cover supplements, natural skincare products, and easy methods that you could try to improve your skin. Small changes are the most impactful when paired with proper diet, exercise, and reducing stress.
Here are the tips you just can’t miss!
83. Use natural products- Many products include parabens, synthetic fragrances, and dyes. These can be horrible for the skin and your overall health. Natural is the way!
84. Be careful with products that include alcohol- alcohol can be very harmful to the skin and dry it out significantly. Also, dermatologists say that it can actually expose the skin, leaving it vulnerable for an acne attack. No thanx!
85. Lavender oil- This natural oil is so soothing and can be used to prevent acne and clear redness. Make sure that it is diluted in coconut oil or another carrier oil before using and apply to the face after washing. Your best bet is to find an all-natural product that includes it.
86. Clean your makeup brushes- The anomaly in the group, dirty makeup brushes are something that can seriously wreak havoc on your skin. It’s as simple as it comes!
87. Honey and Cinnamon Mask- These two ingredients can fight bacteria and reduce inflammation. A little honey and a little cinnamon is all it takes! Umm, yes!
88. Tea-Tree Oil- Using tea-tree oil or a product that includes it like our Clear Skin Elixir, which is rich in vitamins A& E and has over 70 minerals (Like, whoa!) can help reduce blemishes and fine lines.
89. Vitamin C- Vitamin C is the holy grail of skincare. Using a vitamin C product with a concentrated amount (like our Flawless Nourishment Cream) will provide youthful, healthy, and glowing skin. Win-Win!
90. Vitamin D- In supplement form, vitamin D is most potent and can block P. Acnes (bad bacteria) from affecting skin cells and causing acne.
91. Zinc- This helps reduce inflammation and heals the skin. You can find it in the vitamin aisle and red meats, beans, and shellfish.
92. Vitamin A- This little mineral combats P. Acnes by disrupting its effect on skin cells.
93. Beta-Sitosterol and Saw Palmetto- They both inhibit the overproduction of hormones that lead to breakouts.
94. Drink green tea - Flavonoids and tannins in green tea are known to help fight bacteria and reduce inflammation. Green tea also has antioxidant properties that can reduce sebum production.
95. Products that include witch hazel- Don’t be put off by the name! Witch hazel has amazing antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. While using it on it’s own is not recommended, have no fear, you can find a product that includes it like our Radiant Cleansing Nectar. You’re welcome, darling!
96. Always watch what you eat- Some foods (as we discussed above) can act as triggers that can negatively impact your skin. Such things as dairy, sweets, and carbs can be problematic.
97. Use sheet masks- This can provide you with an instant glow and much-needed hydration.
98. Steam Your Face - Setting your face over hot water can help impurities rise to the surface and unclog pores. I recommend following up with our Radiant Cleansing Nectar.
99. Exfoliate honey- Essential to any skincare routine, this removes dead skin cells that clog up pores. It’s seriously important! For this, try the Illuminating Essence Exfoliating Mask.
100. Don’t over wash- Over washing will end up drying out your face and do more harm than good. It also will have minimal effect on acne; it's just a bad rumor.
Having acne is tough, but you can fight it from all angles! With these simple tips, you can not only improve your acne but also create a lifestyle that improves your health and quality of life.
All you have to do is stick with it. I would say that’s a serious win-win! Cheers to many acne-free days, my friend!
It all started with Cami’s story and a line of natural-based products to help heal troubled skin. But that’s not where our story ended. Take a peek behind the curtain and learn how new products join the Averr Aglow family!