Typical acne is bad enough, but nodulocystic acne is in a whole different league.
It’s the final boss. It’s the monster under your bed. It’s Voldemort! 😱
What is Nodulocystic Acne?
Severe acne often includes blemishes called nodules or cysts. Nodules are firm lumps, and cysts are swollen cavities, often full of pus. Both are zero fun.
And nodulocystic acne has the worst of both worlds, nodules and cysts! Nooo!
From the surface, a nodulocystic breakout will look like a combination of red, inflamed boils and hardened lumps, usually appearing on the face, neck, chest, shoulders, and back.
This breakout can take weeks or even months to disappear, so be proactive! The longer you wait to fight back, the tougher it is to reclaim your complexion!
Causes of Nodulocystic Acne
Nodulocystic acne is caused by the usual factors: hormonal shifts, excess skin oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria.
So why did you end up with nodulocystic acne instead of something less extreme?
It’s about the depth of the infection. Nodules and cysts develop far beneath the skin, with no outlet to drain or unclog, and no way to begin healing.
They’re gonna need a little help.
Dealing With Nodulocystic Acne
First and foremost, don’t pick at cysts and nodules. They are too deep to pop. Squeezing will just cause scarring or burst them beneath your skin. Gag!
Next, get a professional opinion to confirm (or correct) your self-diagnosis. Your dermatologist may recommend procedures to reduce bacteria and inflammation.
Many derms also prescribe medications. Proceed with caution — acne drugs have side effects like thinning hair, internal damage, mental health issues, pregnancy complications, and more.
Prevent Your Next Severe Breakout
- Lower your stress. To keep acne-inducing stress hormones at bay, get enough sleep and try relaxing activities like meditation or yoga.
- Up your intake of vitamin D. Low vitamin D levels have been tied to nodulocystic acne. It may help to get a little extra in your diet!
- Keep a consistent skincare routine. To maintain a healthy complexion, consistency is key. Find the products that work for you and ACTUALLY USE THEM!
Still Searching for Your Holy Grail Products?
May we present the ultimate one-two punch:
- Our Radiant Cleansing Nectar uses antimicrobial manuka oil and vitamin-packed hawthorn berry to remove dirt, makeup, and bacteria without irritating your sensitive skin.
- Our Clear Skin Elixir is formulated for overnight nourishment, so nutrients from coral and French pink clay can sink into your skin and balance it from within.